Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Re: [Yasmin_discussions] Multisensory Perception

Hi Sergio,

Is your book available? A serach of Amazon did not turn it up.

cheers,

-- Paul


On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM, sergio basbaum <sbasbaum@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear yasminers,
>
> I's like to thank Raewin Turner and the Yasmin people for this invitation.
> I introduce myself:
>
> I was born in 1964 in São Paulo, where I still live and work -- as a
> teacher
> at PUC-SP. I started my professional carreer as musician -- I still play
> --,
> but I made my bachelor studies in Cinema, when I started to study the
> relations among colors and sounds, what has led me to made a master's in
> the
> subject of synesthesia. This turned into a small book, called "Synesthesia,
> art and technology" (2002), a combination of some material from psychology
> and neurosciences on the topic of synesthesia and a small inventory of
> art-works that aimed different kinds of multisensory solutions. This work
> already suggested some links among digital culture and synesthetic
> experiences, developed in much broader scope in my PhD work, about the
> impact of an omnipresent digital environment on perception and meaning. I
> was then already involved with the writings of Maurice Merleau-Ponty on
> perception, along the works of Contance Classen and David Howes, the
> Canadian Anthropologists that have been doing an extraordinary work in the
> Anthropology of the senses.
> I keep it very interdisciplinar, however, bringing ideas from many other
> artists and authors -- Heidegger, Flusser, McLuhan, Benjamin, Maturana and
> Varela are some I often like to quote --, and since I teach nowadays
> cognitive science, I keep an eye on contemporary science's discussion on
> the
> senses. My last effort has been a post-doc work on the relations among
> perception and language under a primacy of meaning. I'd say I've been
> working with the senses for more than 15 years now.
> For seven years (2001-08) I teached classes devoted to the discussion of
> multisensory perception with bodyarts (dance, acting, performance)
> undergraduate students, which constituted a remarkable interdisciplinary
> laboratory of theory and practice on multisensory perception.
> Look forward a beautiful conversation on the topic next weeks,
>
> Best from Brazil
>
> Sérgio Basbaum
>
> --
> -- Prof. Dr. Sérgio Roclaw Basbaum
> -- Coord. Tecnologia e Mídias Digitais
> -- Pós-Graduação Tec.da Inteligência e Design Digital - TIDD (PUC-SP)
> _______________________________________________
> Yasmin_discussions mailing list
> Yasmin_discussions@estia.media.uoa.gr
> http://estia.media.uoa.gr/mailman/listinfo/yasmin_discussions
>
> Yasmin URL: http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin
>
> HOW TO SUBSCRIBE: click on the link to the list you wish to subscribe to.
> In the page that will appear ("info page"), enter e-mail address, name, and
> password in the fields found further down the page.
>
> HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE: on the info page, scroll all the way down and enter
> your e-mail address in the last field. Enter password if asked. Click on the
> unsubscribe button on the page that will appear ("options page").
>
> HOW TO ENABLE / DISABLE DIGEST MODE: in the options page, find the "Set
> Digest Mode" option and set it to either on or off.
>

--
----- |(*,+,#,=)(#,=,*,+)(=,#,+,*)(+,*,=,#)| ---
http://ignotus.com
_______________________________________________
Yasmin_discussions mailing list
Yasmin_discussions@estia.media.uoa.gr
http://estia.media.uoa.gr/mailman/listinfo/yasmin_discussions

Yasmin URL: http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE: click on the link to the list you wish to subscribe to. In the page that will appear ("info page"), enter e-mail address, name, and password in the fields found further down the page.

HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE: on the info page, scroll all the way down and enter your e-mail address in the last field. Enter password if asked. Click on the unsubscribe button on the page that will appear ("options page").

HOW TO ENABLE / DISABLE DIGEST MODE: in the options page, find the "Set Digest Mode" option and set it to either on or off.