Monday, May 2, 2011

[Yasmin_discussions] Introducing myself

Dear All,

A couple of days back, Jack Ox alerted me to the current thread on PhD education, suggesting I might wish to participate. As a participant in the symposium held here a few years back, I thought it might be fun to rejoin.

This thread interests me for several reasons -- in part, because I've had a foot in several worlds. As an artist, I'm part of the experimental laboratory of intermedia artists, designers, composers, and architects known as Fluxus. Like some of my colleagues, I've had a skeptical relation to art and the art world, and I've often made my living doing something else. For a decade and a half, I was professor of leadership and strategic design at the Norwegian School of Management in Oslo, Norway. These days, I am professor of design theory and strategy and dean of design at Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia. My home page provides more information:

http://www.swinburne.edu.au/design/people/Professor-Ken-Friedman-ID22.html

At the moment, Lorraine Justice at Hong Kong Polytechnic University and I are preparing a conference on doctoral education in design, one of several that go back to the late 1990s (see sig, below). In reviewing the thread to date, I have the sense that some of the issues here are issues that we have been considering in design -- and I also sense that some of the issues here involve questions and problems that have been given deep consideration in other communities tat have considered the challenge of doctoral education. I plan to file a note in the conversatio before long.

When I subscribed, the moderators asked me to introduce myself, and that's what I am doing now.

Warm wishes to all.

Ken

Professor Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | University Distinguished Professor | Dean, Faculty of Design | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia | kenfriedman@groupwise.swin.edu.au | Ph: +61 3 9214 6078 | Faculty www.swinburne.edu.au/design

Conference Co-Chair: Doctoral Education in Design - Practice, Knowledge, Vision | Hong Kong Polytechnic University | May 22-25, 2011 | www.sd.polyu.edu.hk/DocEduDesign2011

Fluxus and the Essential Questions of Life | University of Chicago Press | http://www.press.uchicago.edu/presssite/metadata.epl?isbn=9780226033594


_______________________________________________
Yasmin_discussions mailing list
Yasmin_discussions@estia.media.uoa.gr
http://estia.media.uoa.gr/mailman/listinfo/yasmin_discussions

Yasmin URL: http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE: click on the link to the list you wish to subscribe to. In the page that will appear ("info page"), enter e-mail address, name, and password in the fields found further down the page.
HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE: on the info page, scroll all the way down and enter your e-mail address in the last field. Enter password if asked. Click on the unsubscribe button on the page that will appear ("options page").
HOW TO ENABLE / DISABLE DIGEST MODE: in the options page, find the "Set Digest Mode" option and set it to either on or off.