Saturday, July 27, 2013

[Yasmin_discussions] how my art work influenced my mathematics research

from michele emmer, mathematician

Untill the end of the seventies I was a pure mathematician working on
minimal surfaces and calculus of variation. Then I started making
films on math and art, more or less 22 (including Escher, soap
bubbles, Flatland....). My father was a well known Italian film maker.
I also started organising large exhibitions on art and math including
a section at the Biennale of Art in Venice. This work was a sort of
parallel activity to my academic work.
In 1997 I started organizing an annual meeting in Venice on math and
culture, covering the relations between maths and art, architecture,
music, litterature, films, theatre. Later, I started givind courses at
the university for math and design students. My professional activity
was really changed. In the last 20 years I have written books,
including the one on soap bubbles in art and science, which won the
Viareggio award as best Italian essay in 2010. I am a mathemician
working on the connections between math and culture, mainly on math,
art, architecture and technology. All these started in 1976 viewing an
exhibhtion by Max Bill, with whom I cooperated in several projects
thereafter. A special session of my annual confrence in Venice will be
dedicated to him, on the 20th anniversary of his death.
_______________________________________________
Yasmin_discussions mailing list
Yasmin_discussions@estia.media.uoa.gr
http://estia.media.uoa.gr/mailman/listinfo/yasmin_discussions

Yasmin URL: http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE: click on the link to the list you wish to subscribe to. In the page that will appear ("info page"), enter e-mail address, name, and password in the fields found further down the page.
HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE: on the info page, scroll all the way down and enter your e-mail address in the last field. Enter password if asked. Click on the unsubscribe button on the page that will appear ("options page").
HOW TO ENABLE / DISABLE DIGEST MODE: in the options page, find the "Set Digest Mode" option and set it to either on or off.